Friday, May 14, 2010

Travelling dogs

Just went to the Vet today with Corky for his annual's and his rabies. With the lovely weather I'm sure many of you are planning little trips around the state or even country (lucky you's!). If you are planning on taking your dog, just a reminder that you should always pack his/her rabies certificate in the dog bag. Even if you're just going up to the lake for weekend, take it along. Tags are fine, but can get lost. Actually, I suggest that folks make a copy of their rabies certificate and keep it in their glove box in the car(s). That way you always have one on hand!

When you travel, most states require health certificates to cross over state lines with animals. That said, I know most folks don't ever get them, but you never know when you'll be asked for it. That doesn't mean that every time you travel from Minnesota to Wisc. to visit Grandma you have to have a health certificate, but if you are planning a driving vacation with your dog, where you'll be crossing state lines, it's a good idea. And, if you're planning on going into Canada it's a MUST to have a health certificate.

Health certificates are obtained by going to your vet. They do a check over, and have the paperwork to fill out for you. Shouldn't cost much and the certificate is good for 30 days.

So, make sure you're planning accordingly when you travel with your dog. I always say it's better to be over prepared than under!

Enjoy the weather, which here in Minnesota looks like it's finally going "warm"!!

Deb Schneider
Corky the Yorky, Everee and Eli

No comments:

Post a Comment