Monday, December 6, 2010

What is Obedience?

Ok, heard a new one today - a client told me her husband, who sat in on the first session of their Level 1 class decided to not come to any more classes because he didn't believe in "controlling" the dog. Oh my goodness, he didn't hear a word I said. (she, however is still coming and doing very well!).

Training is a partnership - training is teaching your dog how to be a good citizen, accepted socially because he's has good manners. Training is developing a relationship with your dog. In class I remind folks that this is not dominance training - it's partnership training. You do this for me and I'll do this for you. You follow my lead and I'll keep you safe from harm. You listen to my command you will stay out trouble with cars, other dogs or people.

So remember, training is essential. Heck, we train our kids, don't we?!! How many times did we tell them to sit quitely, to not interrupt, to say please and thank you, to not talk rudely, etc. Same stuff with our dogs, except we have to talk canine to them!

Enjoy your trained friend - no worries, you're not being controlling, instead, you're caring for your dog and making sure the two of you have a long wonderful life together!

Take care friends
Deb Schneider
Everee, Eli, Corky

No comments:

Post a Comment